Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Your Ad Here

Hosted by Urban Pug

•  
      CommentAuthorlibbysmom
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2009

Our five year old black Pug female "Libby Jean" has had problems with her anal glands for the past couple of years. About once a week we notice a stinky wet spot on her bed (or our shirt if she is lying on us). We have taken her to our vet who expresses the anal glands which helps for a couple of weeks but then the problem returns. Our vet mentioned surgery to removal the anal glands but we said absolutely NOT! They are not infected but for some reason they don't express on their own when she poos. Anybody have this stinky problem or have any advice???
      Libby with burger.JPG
    • CommentAuthorwelovepug
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2009

She probably needs more fiber in her diet. Add a teaspoon of pumpkin to her food it can really help.
    Also you can express her anal glands yourself. My sister's pug has to have his anal glands cleaned out very often so she does them herself because she can do them when he needs it. Here are instructions on how to do that or ask your vet to show you how. WARNING if you decide to try the instructions do this very gently, if you can't get them to express yourself don't force them, if they are clogged or impacted, it could cause them to rupture.
    http://www.ehow.com/how_4592325_express-dogs-anal-glands.html?ref=fuel&utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=ssp&utm_campaign=yssp_art
    •  
      CommentAuthorlibbysmom
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2009

Hi welovepug!
    Thank you so much for the tips. I went and bought some organic canned pumpkin and Libby Jean LOVES it. I am not sure how much to give her each day? Do you have a suggestion? I also printed off the info on expressing anal glands. I will give it a try (yuck) and see how it goes. Thank you again. I hope the pumpkin does the trick!
    • CommentAuthorwelovepug
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2009

You are welcome and I understand the "YUCK" but for my sis it was so useful and I have done it once or twice with my Gwen as well. I only put a teaspoon of pumpkin each day on her food and see if it helps. Maybe 2 or 3 days and see if it helps clear the glands. If not, you can add upto a tablespoon per day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlibbysmom
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2009

I will start with a teaspoon and see how that goes - she sure loves it! Thank you again. It is wonderful that we have fellow Pug lovers to help us with these type of problems.
    • CommentAuthorcasie
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2009

hi libbysmom,

i have two pugs one that is 2 and has 3 legs and the other that is 6 months old. When it comes to the anal glands i have to admit it is the most disgusting thing in the world and it may make you throw up but it needs to be done. My 2 year old pug had what is sounds like as the exact same problems and the best way to get rid of it is express it onc a week. This gets rid of what ever evil substance is in this area and you will notice that there are no foul stenches at all!!! The best time to do it is when they are having a bath so if any of the liquid gets anywhere you can just wash it off. There is a type of movement that you can do which makes it easier, hold you dogs tail up and eventually they learn to keep it there, you get your index finger and your rude finger and you move your fingers from the vagina up to the anal area at this time you do need to apply some pressure. When there is hardly any mucus coming out that is when you can stop and will not have to repeat at least for another week. Even though you may think it is disgusting it is a small price to pay for the member of you family.

Good luck and tell me how you go
    •  
      CommentAuthorlibbysmom
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2009

Thank you for all the advice for Libby Jean's "stinky" problem! Between the pumpkin and me actually being brave and learning how to express the glands she is doing 99 percent better. I will keep up the routine and I think our problem has been solved! Thank you :)
    yes i have taht problem too
    my pug who is one year she starts rubbing her butt to the floor and start crying this is desesperating but the vet does it.............and she calms down...:(
    my fred started getting this problem about 6 months about he is a year an some now it's really gross because it usually happends on the sofa and then he licks at it lets just say i own alot of febreez and sofa cleaner

i asked my mothers boyfriend he knows alot of about this sort of stuff since he worked in sort of field and he said that you(i) can do it and exspell the anul gland myself i guess when it gets to full it exspells itself or the i personally have seen my dog scoot around trying to exspell it himself

mind you i never have exspelled it myself because that's kinda gross but fred gets along just fine i guess it's pretty normal if it doesn't exspell itself the dog will do it by licking at it or scooting it's just an annoying thing to have to deal withSandy
    ugh my pug dutchess has this same problem and it stinks so bad!!! as soon as i start smelling it I take her to "get her butt done" I should try to do it myself I guess.
      dutch.jpg
    • CommentAuthorvernie1171
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2009

I don't know about that. I was just reading the ehow article on how to express the anal glands, and that the $$ spent at the vet is well worth it.
    • CommentAuthorBruceLee33
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2009

glad that she is doing much better! always better to try all other options before resulting to surgery! :)~*BruceLee's Mommy*~ loves her Trupanion pet insurance
    • CommentAuthorgracieis#1
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2009 edited

hi everyone just found this site because my pug has this anal glad issue, you guys have some great info. lately its been every 10 days she goes in to get it expressed. so i wanted to ask everyone what food you guys are feeding your pug. my pug has basically a hard stool and never soft. with so many food choices not sure which one would soften her stool enough but not to the point its too soft. any suggestions?
      08292009041.jpg
    • CommentAuthorgracieis#1
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2009

oops sorry about the large photo!
    •  
      CommentAuthormagharp
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2010

We have a Brug (pug x brussel griffon) - her name is Juno and she has the same problem - every 2 weeks they fill at the moment - I have tried expressing myself as the vet showed me but to no avail - the vet does it for me - I've looked into the surgery though and it's not so bad - the glands are actaully useless anyway - given that our dogs are all housed and in a human environment they have no need for them - surely if it's done by a reputable Vet and it ensures their ongoing comfort it's a good option - I'm certainly going to consider it if it keeps happening - I'm sure Juno will appreciate not having a finger up her butt every 2 weeks!! :)
    • CommentAuthormyrtle333
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2011

My pug called myrtle fawn-female. 2 weeks now and she has been shuffling on the floor and has a wet stinky spot in her basket we seem it is an anal gland problem she has fiber in her food but we don't no how to express her glands is there a good website on how to explain to do it ? or a diagram ?
    thank you hope to get some feedback
To respond to this, you need to sign in by clicking the link at the top right of the screen.