Not signed in (Sign In)


Your Ad Here

Hosted by Urban Pug

    • CommentAuthormoondogjean
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2008 edited
    My beloved pug Oliver died suddenly this past weekend. He was only 4 and a half years old. While he'd recently been on antibiotics for a bladder infection, he was healthy. He had a seizure while at the groomers and died instantly. I chose not to do a necropsy as I couldn't imagine them cutting into my buddy, but now wish that I had. The vet suspects PDE - Pug Dog Encephalitis.

    PDE mainly shows itself with seizures. I've never seen Oliver have a seizure. I've never seen him show any of the other possible symptoms listed for PDE. Has anything like this happened to anyone else on here? Any other ideas what might have happened? I'm not looking for anyone to blame. Rather I'm simply trying to comprehend how my happy, seemingly healthy pug could die so suddenly.

    I have a pug-shaped hole in my heart.
    • CommentAuthorpuggylove
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2008
    I'm so sorry for your loss. He was so young. I've never heard of that before so I can't offer anything but my sympathies.
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2008 edited
    i am very sorry for your loss too. I can't imagine what it would be like to lose a pug so young!

    To answer your question, It appears as though PDE can happen as early as age 2-3, and can indeed be "rapid onset." I found this information over at Pug Village: and Gadget's Dad

    I feel your pain.

    My G/f of 4.5 years and myself had 2 dogs, a Puggle and a Pug. Ares the Puggle is going on 2 years this coming Spring. Athena was going on 7-8 months. She passed away Oct. 26 due to PDE. It was sudden onset.

    I have lost dogs in the past, but I have never felt so much pain over the loss. One day I hope to add another pug puppy, but this disease scares me.
    • CommentAuthormojgme01
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2008
    My Leo died of Pug encephalitis on 10/20/08...he was just 18 months old. He had a seizure on Saturday and died Sunday around midnight. The seizure was so massive that it instantly blinded him. This dog was the heart of our family and his sudden death is still painful to bear. There were no warning signs...he was an active playful loveable pug up until the time of his seizure. He gave us 18 months of pure joy!
    • CommentAuthorRoggie05
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2008
    On 6/3/07, my 3.5 year old pug, Lucy, had serious cluster seizures which left her blind in one eye, deaf in one ear, and a little wobbly on her feet. We decided to do an MRI, and she was unfortunately diagnosed with PDE. The vet gave her 2 weeks to live, but we put her on Phenobarbital and wished for the best. Miraculously, our sweet pug lasted 14 months without a single seizure! On 8/23/08, I woke up to her having seizures again, and she never recorvered from them. Letting her go was one of the toughest things I have ever had to do. My heart is still broken, and not a day goes by where I don't think about her, wishing she was still here with us.

    Recently, my husband decided to surprise me with a pug puppy, hoping to fill the void in our house (our other dog, a miniature pinscher had been depressed ever since Lucy left us). Though I still miss Lucy, our new pug, Gracie, is so full of life and totally a pug!

    My heart goes out to all those who have lost a pug to PDE. It is a heartbreaking disease.

    By the way, I have Lucy's MRI images here, and I have attempted to contact clinics that are studying PDE to offer up her images, but no one has returned my calls or emails. Does anyone have any suggestions on who I could contact? I would love to help out with finding a cure for this horrible disease.
    • CommentAuthorjenlinja
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2008
    Our beloved pug, Vivi, died suddenly one week ago today. She was 5 years old and healthy and happy until the day before she died. She had not eaten in 24 hours, and was acting restless and strange, and vomiting. Took her to the vet, they said that she had a urinary tract infection, and did an xray. It was inconclusive, so they sent us home with antibiotics, with the hope she'd feel better in a day or two. The next morning I had to give her her meds (real fun job, by the way.) One hour later, she went into a seizure that lasted all the way back to the vet. It was so severe, that she was probably not going to make it, they said. I had to race back home to get my 14 year old son out of bed, and take him to say goodbye to his pet. He insisted on holding her as she lay dying. It was the hardest pet death I have ever endured. It doesn't stop me from wanting another pug, however. We're thinking Christmas time. As my son puts it, we're just pug people! Our house is not a home without a beautiful, wacky, lovable, lazy, head-tilter in it! We will always miss Vivi, but we will have our memories of her forever.
    • CommentAuthorspewey
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2008

    I to have a huge pug shaped whole in my heart!! Our beloved Quincy who was only 18 momths old, also somehow got the pug dog encepilitus, and we had to have him put down on October 27. He was fine on Thursday the 23 and Friday the 24th I had to rush him to the vet and thought we were treating something toxic, but hot the case! I have owned 3 other pugs who all lived to 10-16 years of age, this has just devasted me in the worst way! Our son had picked out Quincy for his very first dog, trained him and he was so much one of our kids, it hurts so much I know your pain, and I am thinking of you.
    • CommentAuthorspewey
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2008
    I know I have already signed this forum twice today, but after thinking about it throughout the day, I did not want to single anyone out. We have all suffered a great loss, when this horrible disease took our pugs from us. I want to send out my thoughts and prayers to everyone. I wish there was a way we could know and find a cure for this terrible disease! I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers, and even though the disease took pur pugs, they cannot take away our memories! It helps that I found others that know my pain, and have been where I am today.
    • CommentAuthorriddick
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2008
    We just lost our little boy Riddick yesterday to PDE. I will try to describe as best I can how it progressed so that you can know what to expect. Remember that all cases are different and that this is just one progression. If you are looking at this because you feel your pug may be affected then my heart goes out to you. PDE is the worst thing I have ever seen, I am so sorry.
    11/6/08 Riddick had his first seizure in the after noon. It was short, only about 10 seconds. It looked as if he was chewing at 3 times speed, it did not involve his body or legs. If it would not have been seen the only sign of it was small amounts of foam under the sides of his lips. Then 5 minutes later he had another one. I grabbed him and broke every speeding limit till we got to the vet. The Vet said he thought it was Epilepsy. Riddick was put on 45mg of phenobarb and 5mg of Diazepam twice a day. Once home he had 3 more seizures but got better. For the next 8 days he improved and we slowed his amounts of medication per Vet. The meds/PDE cased him to be lathargic, confused, partial loss of the mobility of his back legs and in need to be cuddled around the clock. The seizures came back 8 days later(11/14/08) just as he seemed to have made a full recovery and were worse than the first round. He was rushed back to the Vet. They did lots of tests, about $700 worth. They ran his blood, urine and found nothing wrong other than his sodium was a little low. We put him back on the full dose of phenobarb and diazepam. He stopped seizing for a few days but the the cycle started again. We took him back to the Vet and he ran a lot more tests, x-rays, ultrasounds, ect. He found that Riddicks heart, spleen and liver were swollen. He then was put on 250mg Chloro, 5mg Prednisone and 0.1mg fludrocortisone.

    The next 8 days were the hardest I have known and they are just a blurr. He lost vison in both eyes after a seizure, then his hearing, then his ability to use his back legs. Then he got his vision and hearing back. Next he could kinda walk again. Sometimes he would walk around in circles for no reason. Other times he would only make left turns. He would seem to get better then get worse up untill 11/20/08.

    After another set of seizures he was left blind in his right eye and barely the ability to hold his chest off the ground with his front legs. His back legs would do little else other than to help him crawl a short distance. He could no longer go potty on his own even thought he tried harder than any living thing could. I think this was his attemp to keep his dignity. However we started to keep him in blankets to contain the messes. He slept a lot also. Then on 11/21/08 every symptom he had shown all came out. It was horrible. That night he started to cry the most horrible crys with every breath. I think it hurt him to be held because of the organ swelling. He only stopped when I took him in the shower, and for those 10 minutes or so he seemed so happy. Putting cold water on your fingers and letting him lick it helped as well as just letting him eat lots of warm canned food. He was able to sleep untill about 4am 11/22/08.
    He woke up scared and crying. it seemed he knew what was going to happen. For the next 5 hours all we could do was try to get his mind off the pain, and medicated him when he awoke from seizures. It was so bad we hoped for a siezure so he could have the break from crying fro a few minutes.
    With PDE in this case it tourtured or baby untill his body just couldent take it anymore. We think he slipped into a coma just before the Vet made him sleep. We agreed to freeze his body and give him to Dr Kim Greer at Indiana University who is working to find a cure for PDE. PDE as of now can only be confirmed by MRI and spinal tap.
    Riddick was the house favorite and the most loved dog in the world, Period. We only let this continue because the Vet never gave up looking for hope. He was with us everyday in our laps untill the very end. He never seemed like he didnt know us. He seemed like he was begging for our help, and didnt know why he was hurting or couldnt walk.
    If your Pug is showing these symptoms, Discuss PDE with him and if he does not know what it is make him do his homework. lots of vets miss this diagnosis. All that I can ask of you is that if your Vet feels it is PDE, PLEASE dont let your baby die like Riddick did. You will never forgive yourself once you see how truly horrible PDE does its job.
    For Riddick, We will never forget you!
    I am so sorry for your loss! Even though some time has gone by. my pug Pugsley died suddenly in the night. She was having seizures a few weeks back but they subsided and she had been fine for the past week. All of a sudden Friday she started acting really lethargic and slow, and could barely walk. She had seizures friday night and all through saturday. She must have had over 20 seizures within 5 hours. I stayed with her every minute petting through her struggles. :( We found her dead at 4 am sleeping between me and my bf. I loved that little girl. I just discovered this PDE disease today online, it describes her symptoms exactly. We even took her to the vet yesterday and the vet had no idea what was wrong with her. He just gave her some shots and is doing blood work. Well it is too late now our little girl is gone. R.I.P. Pugs. I feel anyone's pain who has gone through this with their pug.
    • CommentAuthorredsquito
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2009
    My wife and I are glad we found this blog. Our pug Maggie died the other day on 1/8/09 after battling seizures for 48 hrs. Neither one of us had ever heard of PDE or the possibilities of the rapidness of this disease. Maggie was a 6 1/2 year old female who was a healthy, well loved, amazing pug. She had never had any health issues and was a bundle of life. We do not have any confirmation that Maggie died of PDE but the rapidness of her death from all of the reading I have done since that day leads us both to believe this is the cause of her passing. We were startled about 4 am on 1/6/09 by what sounded like a fish floundering out of water on our hardwood floor. It was Maggie having her first seizure. I jumped out of bed and tried to calm her. The seizure only lasted about 30 seconds to 1 minute. At first we thought the cause of the seizure may be dehydration and that it really was not a seizure but some type of severe cramping. We placed her in bed with us and she slept great the rest of the night. Later the next morning I noticed that she was having some trouble walking. It seemed that she was having problems with her rear legs and hips. Once again I thought this was due to the muscles possible being tired from the seizure or dehydration. As the day went on Maggie become lethargic and could not jump onto the couch, her normal daytime sleeping spot. I took her and our other dog Saba (a Sheltie) outside around 5 pm to use the bathroom and she had no interest in going at all. Maggie sat on the porch and would not even attempt to walk down the steps. I carried her out into the yard and she just laid down. I brought them both in and attempted to feed them and Maggie was not real interested in eating. You have to understand that Maggie is a dog who normally acts like she has never been feed before. She actually had to prop herself up against the wall just to eat out of her bowl. This was all just too odd for me and so I took her to the emergency vet clinic to have her examined. I explained all that had gone on and the oddness that she had been displaying all day. They ran blood work and X-rays and everything came back perfect. The vet advised that there were numerous things that this could have been, epilepsy, reaction to something she ate, brain tumor, or PDE. They were not really sure what had occurred and that we should watch her for the next 24 hrs and if something else happened or things got worse to see our normal vet. About 11 pm that night Maggie had her 2nd seizure, this one not as bad as the first and a little shorter in time. Maggie seemed a little more alert after this one or at least alert a lot quicker than the first. Around 4 am she had her 3rd seizure, this time more of a heavy breathing issue and not as much legs locking out. I got up and went to work at 7 am, called our vet on the way and advised them what was going on and that my wife would be bringing Maggie in for them to evaluate for the day. Between 7 am and 8 am when my wife dropped her off Maggie had 2 more seizures. Shortly after my wife dropped her off the vet called because Maggie had another seizure and that there was nothing they could do for her. The advised us to come back and pick her up and take her to the neurologist about 30 mins away. I met with the neurologist who after evaluating her for less than 1 min advised he was pretty sure it was PDE, but needed to do a spinal tap to confirm. We also had the option to start her on seizure meds and a steroid without spending the money for the spinal tap. We decided to start the meds and so they kept Maggie overnight to get everything started. I left the neurologist thinking we would have at least 6 months to deal with this. I received a call at 3 am that morning from the neurologist advising that Maggie had just passed. He tried to comfort us by telling us that things were a lot worse than he had thought and that no amount of testing or medication could have helped her. Of course my wife and I beat ourselves up for 2 days thinking we had missed the signs that Maggie was sick and in pain. It was the toughest 2 days of our lives, until we found this blog. After reading everyone else's stories we realized that PDE is just a horrible disease that can strike so rapidly that Maggie never stood a chance. I am sorry for everyone’s loss, but we are thankful that you all were willing to share your story. It has helped us cope with the loss of our Maggie.

    Brad & Michelle
    • CommentAuthorcazandjosh
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2009 edited
    Hello all

    Our beloved Pug Boysey died suddenly on saturday night, my sons 16th bIRTHDAY TOO. wE ARE DEVASTATED. tHE VET SAID HE WOULD LIVE A LONG LIFE, HE,S BEEN ON PHENOBARITOL FOR SEIZURES, AND NOT HAD ONE FOR LONG TIME, WE CAME DOWN THE STAIRS, THERE was no noise, he just lay there in a pool of urnine and died..we are heartbroken.

    sorry for all your losses our hearts go out to you too. my son cant stop sobbing Boysey was just 4 yrs old and a fab friend indeed.R.I.P OUR BOYSEY
    • CommentAuthorminnie
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2009 edited
    We lost our beautiful Pug, Minnie yesterday. The very first sign was that she didn't want to jump off the bed, she would usually have followed my Husband to the end of the Earth, we thought she was just being daft. She seemed a little bit more tired than usual but was otherwise fine, until four days later she woke us up in the night, being sick & she had also lost control of all her functions including being able to stand. We took her to the vet in the morning & she seemed fine, having the best bloods she'd ever had when tested since she was born. The vet gave us some painkillers but said it could be a neurological problem & we might need to take her for more tests. That night the same thing happened & at nine am we rushed her to the vet again, this time the vet thought she could be having fits but as she seemed fine again we were quite optimistic that it was something she could live with & could be controlled. At eleven am it happened again & at eleven thirty she started having a proper fit, while we were on the phone to the vet she had another worse one & continued to have them in the car on the way to the vet. By the time we got there (about 3 minutes) her fitting was quite violent, she was foaming at the mouth & was very difficult to hold her. The vet tried his best for two hours to control the fits with Diazepam & other drugs but nothing worked, so he contacted us & told us that there were only two options, he could give her a small dose of the drug used to put animals to sleep, this might work but could leave her with a very poor quality of life due to the length of time Minnie had been fitting. The other option was to put her to sleep & end any more suffering. For us there was only one option, we could never choose to risk putting her through any suffering so although our hearts were breaking we rushed to say goodbye to her. It was truly the most terrible experience we have ever been through, Minnie was only sixteen months old & she had given us a lifetime of pleasure & love & at the moment we feel like we'll never get over this. She was our perfect little angel. We miss her so much.We would like to add how sorry we are for everyone who has lost their pug to (PDE) & hope no pug owner ever has to feel the pain we all have had to share.
      Cornwall pics 045.jpg
    • CommentAuthordavedrury
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2009 edited
    Its 5.51am tuesday 3rd feb and i've been up all night watching over Fin our 1yr old pug puppy. He had his 1st seizure on Friday whilst playing with our daughters new pug puppy, 3 days later he has deteriorated with frightening speed and is now in a virtual coma with just the odd cry and twitch. I've read up on PDE and its a virtual description of Fins condition. The Vets have given us diazapan and epilepsy tablets but nothing seems to be working and his breathing is now getting more and more ruttly and i'm fearing the worst for him. Fin was just 1 on 31st Jan the day after his 1st seizure, he's been a revelation to our family, our 1st ever dog and the most placid, loving and gentle animal you could ever meet. My brother was killed in accident a few days after we got him, they never got chance to meet but Fins presence got the family through that time and gave us something to focus on. He's the most beautiful pug you have ever seen and his time with us will stay with us forever however much longer we get to keep him.
    • CommentAuthornollm
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2009
    My partner and I lost our pug Herman yesterday. He was only 11 months but very much part of the family. I can't stop the tears. He was so spirited, funny...just exquisite. We loved him so dearly. I am so full of grief. We suspect PDE because the symptoms match. My partner and I noticed strange behaviour about a week ago...not being able to jump down from the couch/stairs. His mood dropped and at times it was like he could not see us. We felt so helpless. I took him to the vet on Thursday and was told that because my chihuahua had puppies about a two weeks ago he was simply 'put out'. (Herman is/was the father of the puppies.) Medically he was fine, no fever, heart and lungs were fine. Friday morning 5.30am I awoke to find him on the floor having a seizure. I rang the on-call vet who said to bring him in when the surgery opened. He had one seizure after another before I could not take it anymore and called again. We finally took him in at 8am. I stupidly tried to work that day but all my thoughts were with him. We picked him up at 4pm with valium and anti-biotics. He continued to fit all night, my partner slept on the floor with Herman to comfort him. He went to the vet yesterday morning at 9.30am and died at 3pm. He was our best friend and went everywhere with us. I will miss knowing where he is because of his breathing. I will miss his little nose in the crack of the door as I walk in the house. I will miss his snoring. I will miss his playfulness and having to be right by our side. I will miss his genuine happiness. Just like all of you I have a pug shaped hole in my heart. I just hope Herman's babies will not have the condition. As a Chug I am crossing my fingers that the risk is significantly reduced. It is my birthday tomorrow and all I want is my Herman back. I am glad I found this site as I know others have suffered the same loss, it gives me some comfort.
    • CommentAuthorRIPpugsley
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2009
    Hey, i am so astonished! My beloved pugsley just died on Febuary 18, 2009. Me and my family were devastated! I still cry everytime i think about him or even say his name. He was a huge part of our family. He was five years old and had recently just started having seizures. We didn't know what he was doing, we thought that he had azma. One day after he had it we had left to go on vacation. Pugsley could not go because we were flying so he stayed with my parents. He done fine over there until the following day my mom put him outside to go potty. She said that he was only out there for about fifteen minutes and she went to let him back in and he wouldn't come!! She said she thought that he was asleep in the yard so she sent my dad out to check. and he was dead. I didn't actually find out until i got back in town two days later. I was completely heartbroken. I had to get another one. I just didn't think that it would happen again. Well we have another one her name is Mia. She will be one on April 18.She has just had her first seizure. I am so scared to even leave her by herself now. It's so upsetting that this has to happen. We love pugs more than words can express. I don't want her to die. What do i do??? or can i do anything at all???:cry::cry::cry:
    Thanks, Brittany
    pugsley! R.I.P boy you are sadly missed :(
    • CommentAuthoroliver
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2009
    WHAT A SHOCK - I just love this pug breed & 3 weeks ago we lost our favorite pal, friend, family member - FAWNZY - he was nearing
    4 years old - What happened - we are still in shock - completely devastated - been trying to find a pug grief group - guess this is it!
    He had his 1st seizure at 14 months - we were never told it was seizure - but "must have eaten drugs" we thought that answer was
    crazy - no way possible - but on we went - not really any others health issues that stood out to worry about...accept noticed last 6
    months not as full of energy at times & somewhat fussy on eating - nothing to prepare us for the hell we went thru prior to his death!
    Will we someday get another pug...? we love this little beings...BUT - will we be freaked out - wondering if dog will get this terrible!!
    disease? love to chat more - guess this is only way to work thru this terrible hurt in our hearts.
    I lost my 18 month old pug Dexter 2 days ago with absolutely no warning. I'm devistated. My boys are devistated. We got up together in the morning and he ran around the house like normal snorting and making us all smile like usual. I let him out to potty, went to pick up the kids from school and when we arrived back home he greated my son at the sliding door to be let back in as he always did when he heard our cars come in the garage. I was last in dropping backpacks along the way when I noticed he had fallen on his side and all four legs were stretched out stiff... I ran to the door only to see him take his last breath and pass. My children were sobbing, I was hysterical. We loved him so much. The vets not sure if it was PDE, heart attack, or anurisim. I didn't want them to cut him open. I want another pug, but mostly I just want my Dexi back. I absolutely loved his snorting, him laying by my side on the recliner, and hogging the bed in our trailer on the camping trip we took last week. Oh my God I'm dying inside for my little guy. I just can't believe this happened. I'm so afraid to love another one as this pain is intolerable. I mourn with all of you that have lost your little family members. Thanks for the site as talking about it helps.
      PICT0107 (2) (3).jpg
    • CommentAuthorRed
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2009
    I am so sorry. What a terrible time you and your family must be having. I hope time will ease your pain.
    • CommentAuthorgbird
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2009
    This is in response to Missinmypug, the exact same thing happened to me.

    My 22 month old pug, Izzy, died unexpectedly on Tuesday, April 14th, 2009. The previous weekend and on Monday she was acting normal and showed no signs of being sick.

    That Tuesday, started like any other. I had to get up early for work and she stayed bed until she heard me putting on my shoes, which is when she ran out to the living room to be walked. I took her for walk and left for work after telling her “Goodbye” like normal. I was gone for 10 hours that day longer than I expected because I had to run errands. When I returned home she greeted me like normal and I took her for another walk. During the walk she stopped and put her front paws on my leg like she was saying “carry me.” I told her she needed her exercise since I had been gone for so long and we continued our walk and she did her business, which nothing about that looked abnormal. When we came back to my door she acted as if she wanted to go around again but I brought her inside. She sat under the table like normal as I began dinner and then took the trash out. When I came back in from taking the trash out I had a sudden urge to check on her and that is where I found her lying next to the table with her feet sticking straight out and a little blood next to her mouth. I was flipping out and rushed her to my vet who had closed just 30 minutes earlier; it was on the way to the animal hospital. I then proceeded to drive her to the nearest Animal Hospital which was 15 minutes away and when I arrived they told me she had already passed way. They also doubted that my vet could have done anything to help her.
    Needless to say, that was one of the worst days of my life so far. I loved that little pug so much. We spent almost every day together and she slept with me every night. I loved how she would follow me around my apartment and always kept a close eye on me. I wish I could have her back, but I know someday I will meet her again at the Bridge.

    I have acquired my sister’s 9 month old pug that she had dumped on my parents and reacquired my 15 month old Boston Terrier, they are helping but they are not my Izz. I think the Boston has finally realized Izzy is not coming home as she has not been as active as usual. The Boston had lived with Izzy for a year.
    Thank You for allowing me to share my story. It helps to know that I am not the only one who has lost a pug unexpectedly.
      232323232%7Ffp43239)nu=3244)85 )7(;)WSNRCG=3232;4684 965nu0mrj.jpg
    • CommentAuthorPholeton
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2009
    Today is May 14th and it has been 3 days since we lost our precious baby, Gus. I was searching the web for answers and found 2 people that had the same experience as me. Gus was a 4 year old pug..he would turn 5 in August. On Mothers Day it seemed as if he was just not himself. Nothing really bad just laying around a bit more. We figured our little buddy was just not feeling well. On Monday my husband took him for a walk ad we thought he was feeling better, seemed to be back to himself. Within a half hour my son called in panic that something was wrong with out precious baby. I ran for my husband, within seconds my husband held Gus in his arms we told him we loved him and he died. My son said he heard a thud and Gus just fell over. We are still in shock and deeply saddened. He was so perfect, the best little dog anyone could have. All he wanted was to be held or to be touching you. My husband and son still rushed Gus to the vet. He said there was nothing we could have done..whatever happened was massive. We also chose not to have an autopsy. The vet said it must have been something genetic. Either his heart or an anuerism. After searchng the web I am wondering if it was PDE. There were no signs at least none that we realized. It was all so sudden. My family and I are devastated. Gus went everywhere with us. He slept in my arms each night and with my husband each morning. We miss him so much.
    • CommentAuthorChewiesmom
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2009 edited
    I lost my beloved Chewie from PDE on May 17, 2009. Unlike many of the pug people who have posted before me here, he had a slow progressive form of the disease, not the rapid progression that many have written about here. He had his first seizure on March 12. His first seizures were not a classic grand mal seizure but he ran all over the house barking like mad, howling like a wolf, he lost his bowels and fell down several times in the process. He had some foaming of the mouth so I took him to the vet right away. Once there, he had another seizure in front of her. She was not sure if it was epilepsy, PDE or a tumor, but she but him on pheno-barbitol right away and referred me to a neurologist.
    The pheno made my Chewie stagger around like a drunk sailor for a few days but then he stabilized. He was moving slower but not showing any signs of seizing again. After seeing the neurologist, I learned a $2,000 MRI and a spinal tap may or may not show the symptoms of PDE, or epilespy, but would show a tumor so I decided to keep him on the meds and hope for the best. Chewie was fine until April 24th. That day he was with my good friend Leigh, who was sitting him and his pug brogher Chuck while I was recovering from surgery. He had a grand mal seizure that night, the next night and Sunday. Sunday Leigh called and let me know and brought him home. Each time after the seizures he would return to normal. He was fine the rest of Sunday but Monday afternoon he had another grand mal seizure. He had also started displaying mucle weakness and lack of coordination since that Sunday. My regular vet was on vacation so I contacted my local Seattle Pug Rescue vet, as Chewie was a rescue pug.
    The next morning at the Nortons, who do all the vet work on the Seattle Pug Rescue pugs, and breed pugs, took a look at Chewie. Dr. Norton determined that it was likely PDE, not epilespy becausee the first set of seizures in March were so different from the second. With epilepsy, the seizures are almost always the same type over and over. I hope this bit of information helps anyone reading this. We increased the pheno, added oral steriods and also antibiotics. The antibiotics were in the hope that Chewie had bacterial encephalitus, very unlikely, but Dr. Norton wanted to cover all the bases.
    The next week and a half Chewie improved rapidly, I was so happy to see it. He was alomst his old playful self again. Then he started vomiting, moving slower and slower, having a hard time getting up and down stairs. Finally he seized (grand mal) again late on Saturday the 16th. He was also screaming and howling intermittenly, and falling down again. I called the Nortons, they advisded an extra dose of pheno and a childrens dose of Benadryl. He didn't seize agian but he stayed up all night pacing and panting. It was not hot in the house, but he wouldnn't stop panting and was not interested in water. He would also stop pacing to scream and howl. I was so sad. I laid on the couch in my living room so he could pace around without the risk of tumbling down the stairs. It was apparent he was losing some of his vision as well. At one point in the night he came over to the couch and try to hop up. I picked him up and put him on my chest. He was a big pug but I wanted to hold him. He looked in my eyes and seemed to say, can't you help me? Mom, I am still in here. And he licked my nose. Then he wanted down to continue the pacing. That was the last time I saw my Chewie's little spirit. The next morning I called the Norton's and took him in to put him to sleep and end his suffering. He was still alive but his little spirit had already been taken away.
    I only had Chewie for 11 1/2 months, he was a 6 year old rescue pug. Why anyone would have given him up is beyond me. He was loving and sweet, playful and silly. He never had any aggression, and never broke his housetraining (until PDE). He was v ery hand shy when I got him, indicating he was hit or beaten prior to my adoption, but it never broke his spirit. He would pile toys at my feet when I was working at home on the computer until I would play with him. He would play tug o war for hours. He would snuffle and snort around the house and he snored like a lumber jack. He looked at me with he heart shining out of his eyes every day because he was so happy to be with me. I loved that dog so much.
    My heart goes out to all that have posted here, and anyone reading this. I have heard of a Dr. Karen Greer doing research but I am not sure what University she is working with. If there is research going on, please post details as I would love to donate. I would love to do anything to stop this horrible, soul stealing, heartbreaking disease. And my deepest and sincerest thanks to the Nortons and to Seattle Pug Rescue for their support while my Chewie was ill.
      Playing compressed.JPG
    • CommentAuthorm120706
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2009
    After reading all of these comments I must share my story of PDE. I recently had to put my 2 year old Pug down because he was diagnosed with PDE. I work at a veterinary clinic and took him in with me because he was getting real aggressive with me and licking his front paws. So hoping it was behavioral my doctor still wasn't sure because he had no other clinical signs. So the next day he was still pretty lethargic and this was not like him, well right before I decide to take him to the emergency he stood on my bed with no reflexes in his back right paw. As he stood on the table at the emergency clinic the doctor was just about to look in his ears when my dog snapped back and tried to bite him, he then started twitching his back right leg and then went into a full blown seizure, after he was taken back I was instructed that he stay the night to be observed, he had a smaller seizure a few hours later and I was to pick him up the next day, his blood work was good but the Dr. wasn't sure why he wouldn't use his back legs at all, as I got ready to pick him up he had another seizure and wasn't able to come home, the Dr. wanted him to go at least 24 hours without any seizures to be released, at this point the Dr. instructed me to make an appt. with neurologist because he was concerned about PDE, by tuesday I was able to pick him up and take him home, not knowing how bad it was going to be, he couldn't walk at all he tried to get comfortable and it was just so hard for him when he finally fell asleep I thought we could get a few hours before his appt at the neurologist, within a few hours he went into another seizure and seized for about 15 minutes as we drove back to e-clinic, by that time he had been given two doses of valium and pentobarb for the seizures to stop. The next morning I went to pick him up and take him to his appt. the only time he was happy is when I held him. He stayed all day and night at the neurologist where they did a MRI and CSF ( spinal tap), which then confirmed he had PDE, he had swelling in the left part of the brain which affected the back right leg. He was then transported back to my clinic where he was humanely euthanized and cremated.It has been the hardest two months of my life I raised him since he was 8 days old, and always rearranged my schedule to make sure he was always taken care of. Marley will be missed greatly and there isn't a day that I don't think about him, at this point all I would like to do is strictly study PDE, I dont' want another family to endure any of the pain that I had to. RIP Marley, mommy loves you.
    I am really sorry for all of your losses, I too just lost my best friend Paisano. He was 5 1/2 years old. He began having seizures in Feb of this year and he died with me and my husband on June 14th... As many times as I have brought him to his vet and the emergency vet, nobody has ever even mentioned PDE. But everything that I brought up to them matched the symptoms of PDE. It is so hard to adjust to not having him around... I miss him so much.
    I'd like to bring all of you who are afraid of losing a young pug to this disease a little bit of hope. Our 11-year-old pug, Hector, began having seziers a few years ago, usually when it was hot and he was over-doing it. Lately it's happening more frequently, and I expect that he will fall over and die one of these times. Just today, about an hour or so ago, he began trembling, panting hard, and acting like he had no balance. I was happy that my husband and I were home to comfort him during this scary time, which lasted a good half hour. He has fallen over as others described and shaken like he was having a sezier a number of times -- but when the episode was over, he got up and acted like nothing happened and continued playing with his ball or following us around the house. Today was different, though. The hope for you in this story is that he is 11 years old, and he's lived a wonderful life. We have not taken him in to get checked out by the vet because I don't think there's a whole lot they could do for him. We are just enjoying him now while he's here, knowing that chances are he soon won't be.
    hi, my name is kim, this is my story about my best friend pookie. she was 7 years old and she passed away very suddenly june 19th 2009. i am pretty sure that pde took her life. pookie was found in a big field ,next to my horse riding stable. she was 3 months old when i found her. so what was one more mouth to feed, i have 5 horses to feed,she was blind in one eye and had an inverted vagina, so she already has problems, so i took her to the vet she gets fixed and things are going ok ,then she has allergies, we go get shots for that, the years go by we go to the stable every day, go for walks, play, sleep, snore, etc.first seizure came june 3rd , vet says she has bronchitis, she the vet did an xray,on antibiotics for 10 days. now she has a hard time breathing, sounds like a kid with asthma, more meds for breathing. the next seizure comes it is the weekend and guess what pookies vet is not now we go to the emergency hosptital 60 miles away,that was an expensive trip ,blood work only found liver enezemes were high , they thought were because of the seizures, sent us home with a shot to calm her down and to keep a good eye on her. now two days later another seizure this one did her in while she was having the seizure she fractured a bone above her eye , the only good one she has,her eye swelled up and at this time i was a nervous wreck. back to the vet we go , an x ray showed a hair line fracture, she was probably going to go blind, the vets assistant put her on oxygen,i left her at the vet office for 6 hours , thinking to my self , she is going to get better,the Vet called 3 hours later she had passed away, to everyone on this sight, i feel for you . seizures in pugs is a terrible thing to go through, and see. i wish someone would HAVE INFORMED ME ON PDE , FOR SOME IT IS TO LATE.
    • CommentAuthorlovedtorun
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2009
    Our best friend Bugsy Malone died suddenly on September 10, 2009. He was healthy, active, 3 yr old male pug that "loved to run". We we returned from work he greeted us in his usual fashion- like he didn't see us for years. We decided to have a BBQ before we went for evening walk because temperatures where a little warm. Bugsy joined us in the yard relaxing. While we were eating downstairs he went upstairs for a few minutes (unusual with food on the table). Upon his return he urinated on the floor as we rushed him outside he started having loose bowel movements. Once outside he dropped to his side legs strait out, foaming in the mouth, difficulty breathing with anal discharge.

    We called the emergency vet immediately & noticed vomit and feces upstairs. At the time we assumed he ate mushrooms in the yard and was poisoned. Within 15 minutes we where at the vet. He stated that Bugsy was dieing with little chance for survival. He felt that the mushrooms where not cause due to the quick time lines & was more than likely a genetic heart condition. Within minutes Bugsy died in our arms. He went from a healthy active pug to deceased within 45 minutes.

    After doing some research on mushroom poisoning (they where non-toxic), heart conditions & PDE we are convinced it was PDE as all the symptoms fit. We would like to thank all the people that posted here. I now know who difficult it is to write about this devastating experience but these stories helped us in the healing process.

    Bugsy was truly a "big dog in a small body" full of heart, character and personality. He'll never be forgotten.

    RIP Bugsy Malone
    • CommentAuthorSusancod
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2009 edited
    My son lost his pug yesterday,her name was Daisy, she didn't live with me, but was here almost every weekend, she was a lovable funny dog. If they would go out for the evening she would hop on my be with my dog grab a part and sleep, my son and his girlfriend would come home most of the time she would stay right on my bed. They got her two years ago when they were in college, she was purchased from a pet shop probably in some mall, which means she was most likely a puppy mill dog, in some of the articles I have read, stated that the diease is more common in doge that are inter bred, such as litter mates, aunt and nephew, uncle and niece, half brother and half sisters, strange, don't these puppy mill people realize what they are doing, they really need to be stopped, and the dogs are the ones paying the price. This dog was their baby and now she is gone. They had to put her down, she turned two on Saturday and starting having siezures on Sunday. We did everything we could. I even got to speak to Dr. Kimberly Greer, very nice lady and thank you again, she told me there is nothing that can be done. She informed me there is no cure, they are trying to develop a genetic test that will show the genes which leads to PDE in the dog. This way if your dog does have these markers people will not breed them or if the markers are in puppies people will not purchase these puppies. I guess it is a way to fight the diease, We had no idea what PDE was before Sunday and now we know a lot. Dr. Greer even told me of what blood tests to get done. to see if it was something else just mimicing the symptoms, but it wasn't there were too many siezures. They took the dog to a good animal hospital and the first thing they did was put the dog on anti siezure medicine. The dog should have been put on an antibiotic drip, just in case it was the other dieases. Then a simple blood test should have been done. For Limes, RMSF, Toxt, and erch (something)my vet said they do a $50 SNAP test to start then if there was any raised levels in the blood stream they would test the sample further. I think this is a good way to start for PDE, because my son was told "Well $3,000 for a MRi", to conclude that it is the diease and then what put her down.
    I am so sorry for all of yor losses. how sad. :( It's scary that PDE is so common and so sudden....~*BruceLee's Mommy*~ loves her Trupanion pet insurance
    • CommentAuthormp183300
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2009 edited
    Thanks all for posting. Reading these posts help realize there are others out there who have been through this and gives us more knowledge on the subject.
    Sorry for all of your losses.

    I put my baby emma down last week. She had PDE. She was 2 years and 7 months old. She was too loving and full of energy to die so young. Just the week before, she was full of life and her normal crazy self. She used to follow me everywhere I went, and I loved absolutely everything about her. She used to dance for food, give kisses constantly, go under the blanket to sleep, and had not an ounce of hate in her. She was fearless.
    I woke up one morning to her having a seizure. I did not know she was having a seizure at the time. She was shaking in bed and i yelled her name, but she kept convulsing. Then the whole day she acted weird. She just laid around. We took her and her partner deuce on walk. She usually pesters the hell out of deuce, but this was the only walk where she just walked and looked down. She didnt pay attention to him at all. When we got back, she just laid down. That night, she went under our bed pressed her head against the wall. She didnt want to come by us, which was unusual. That morning, I woke up again to her convulsing. I've never seen a seizure before, so I did not know what was happening. I took her to the vet that morning explaining what I had seen. The vet said that she probably got into some bad food and gave her pills to ease her stomach. I went home and gave her a pill. Not 3 minutes later, she had another seizure. This time I knew for sure it was a seizure as she began foaming at the mouth. The emergency vet said that it was epilepsy. They said that they would giver her phenobarbital and she would be ok and we would take her home in the morning. It was sad news to think she was epileptic, but good news to know we would have her back and somewhat back to normal in the morning. They called again that morning and said she had two more seizures in the night and they were going to have to keep her longer. We transferred her over to a neurologist and had and MRI done. He said that she had PDE. We took her home for a few days to say goodbye. Those were the worst couple of days of my life. She couldnt walk, barely knew what was going on. She was partially blind and couldnt go to the bathroom herself. She started crying every time she had to go to the bathroom. She looked miserable and in pain. Some of her friends came over to say goodbye. We then took her to put her down. Watching her take her last breath was just as bad as digging a hole in my backyard to put her in. This is the worst disease ever. Took my baby so young.

    What bothers me, is that we took her to these professionals that study dog disease and issues and neither of the two institutions knew what was wrong with her. It took online research and this forum to help diagnose. After thinking she might have PDE, we transfered her to the neurologist to have an MRI so we can know for sure. We didnt want to put her down or end her life if just in case it was just epilepsy. Vets and emergency clinics should be more aware of this disease as it seems to be somewhat more common that originally thought.
    The following were the symptoms we saw:
    pressing her head against the wall and furniture
    partial blindness
    lack of motivation
    lack of control of urination and bowel
    unable to walk

    The one thing she did, even when she was at her most sick moment was eat. She would not stop eating and drinking.

    RIP will be missed so much. You were such a great puppy that was full of love. I hope I someday see her again happy and full of life.
    • CommentAuthorkchitwood
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2010 edited
    This is horrible. I lost my best friend, my heart ,my soul, my shadow on December 23, 2009 . Mae Mae was 19 months old, healthy , happy , and full of life. What went wrong???? Why ??? My heart will never be the same. I knew something was wrong when she didn't jump off the bed in the morning to come greet me in the kitchen for breakfast. I took her to the vet , they gave her a steriod shot for back pain. They said it was because she hurt her back. I brought her home , she started standing funny, leaning to one side. She was still eating and drinking, but laying around a lot. 2 hours later she had a seizure, foaming at the mouth, I thought I was going to die. In a panic I put my hand in her mouth to stop her from injurying herself. I rushed her back to the vet , that was when we found out she had PDE. I thought I was going to get sick right there in the doctors office. I felt as though I was hit in the stomach with a bat. It was surreal. Time stood still. I took her home, held her for the rest of the day . Later that night she started to cry and scream. I have never heard a cry like that before, it sounded painful. She lost all bowel functions, and had multiple seizures. We called the vet at 10:30pm on Dec 23, he meet us at the office where my Mae Mae took her last breath. . . . The next morning, Christmas Eve, with her stocking hanging by the fireplace , her presents under the tree and her favorite chew bones on the floor, I watched as my husband buried my baby in the back yard. . . . God I miss her . . . .God willing, I will see you again Mae Mae . I love you.
      Picture 011.jpg
    I'm sitting here crying over your losses and the possibility of my own later today. Daisy, my 4 1/2 year old pug, sits in the Animal Emergency Hospital fighting PDE. She has been in teh hospital since Thursday, 12/31. My son found her in a seizure on Wednesday at about noon. He scooped her up & ran her to the vet. My vet did blood work & diagnosed her with ear infection and a possible broken eardrum. He kept her there until 6:30pm and had us take her home...along with two suringes of valium. She still had the IV shunt in her back leg. She couldn't support herself on her back legs, but tried to walk. She layed next to my husband & I in bed and I stayed awake all night with my son watching for another seizure. She never closed her eyes. By 7am she began a seizure and I gave her one of the shots of valium. She became more listless and cried with each breath. The vet told us to take her to the hosp to see a neurologist. With the snowy weather, we got to the hosp around 1pm. They immediately knew it was PDE, but took a spinal tap to be sure. She was put on antibiotics, steroids & chemo for the PDE. She wasn't eating and was on IV fluids. She appeared to get slightly better on Friday, but began to back slide on Saturday. They began tube feeding her to try to get nutrition in her. Last night the covering MD called about 6pm and told us that she was still declining and they were trying different meds. I am waiting to talk to the neurologist this morning. I tried to prepare my son & daughter last night that we may need to let her go if she still is not responding to the treatment. I do not want to see her suffer or have no quality of life. She's our baby and I can't believe wshe may be gone from our lives. Why didn't my vet advise me in her July visit of this possible disease and tell me the signs to look for. After reading of PDE on line, Daisy was showing symptoms for the last month or so...but we didn't know what to look for!! Her treatment may have been able to be started sooner & her outlook much brighter if we had known. The MDs at the hospital are wonderful & have given her 24 hour coverage and were always on the phone with us with updates. I'm praying for a miracle now that when I call they will tell me she has shown great improvement since last night. We wanted to give her any chance we could but I cannot prolong it if she is in pain. I held her in the palm of my hand when we got her - she was the runt of the litter with a rottie's heart!- and I do not want to let her go. Daisy was a princess that loved being dressed in her "pretties" and was always there to play, cuddle and love each of us in her own way. I was hoping to read of treatment success stories of this horrible disease. I want to be able to log back on later today or tomorrow telling all of at least one miracle to share.
    • CommentAuthorJazzypug
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2010
    My heart breaks for all of you. Words cannot describe how sorry I am for your loses.

    My baby will be 2 yo on Jan. 11th and so far doing well. When we first got her at 8 weeks and I brought her to the vet, he x-rayed her head and told me she may be at a higher risk for PDE - but borderline given the ratio he could see on the x-ray. I don't remember the exact numbers and everything he told me but I just couldn't return her even after only one night with her.
    Hi Everyone,

    Rob and I have cried over each of these stories. I think about losing Bogey, and I just can't imagine it. Thank you for sharing what must be a ridiculously hard time in your lives. What you have shared has created awareness in the community but has also helped me to appreciate every day with my Bug.
    • CommentAuthorO'Malley
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2010
    I lost my best friend on Thursday January 7,2010. He would have been 2 on Feb.9,2010. He was diagnosed with PDE at 3 pm on Wednesday. They put him out and they did a spinal tap which showed he had PDE and sadly my phone was ringing at 2:30 am and he had had a seizure and stopped breathing and they couldn't get him back. The only signs that we noticed two days prior was standing in a corner with his head pressed against the wall and his back legs were a little weak. He never had a seizure until the fatal night. My husband and I miss him teribly. Until I found this site I never knew how many other pugs have had this fatal disease. My sympathies go out to all of you.
    • CommentAuthorJazzypug
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2010
    O'Malley, I'm so very sorry to hear about your loss. Please accept my sympathy and blessing. :(
    • CommentAuthorO'Malley
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2010
    Happy Birthday Jazzy pug!!
    • CommentAuthorJazzypug
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2010
    Thank you! She loved her doggie cup cake :)
    • CommentAuthorrobq21
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2010
    I have Pug that is almost 12 years old (Chipper) that has had two seizures in the last month. He also exhibits many of the symptoms of PDE including all of the following ... partial blindness, depression, lack of motivation, crying, lack of control of urination and bowel, staring into space and simply standing for long periods of time, unable to walk as previously able and has trouble with stairs - especially if he is cold.

    Can a pug of this age have PDE? Could this be just old age?

    Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

    Thanks in advance.
    • CommentAuthorJazzypug
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2010
    I can't answer you for sure with your pug.

    I can tell you that we had a mixed Chow for 14 1/2 years and the last few months she had little control of her urination; she walked into furniture or the wall and wouldn't know how to back up and would just stand there; her strength in her legs was weaker. I know all this was from her aging.

    It is very heart breaking to watch them go through that.
    • CommentAuthorO'Malley
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2010
    robq21 I'm not going to pretend that I know everything about PDE but what I have read it happens to pugs between the age of 6 months and 3 years of age. I have also had other dogs that have had some of those symptoms and mostly was related to old age. I hope he feels better soon.
    • CommentAuthormidori04
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2010 edited
    Hi! Today I lost my best friend, my companion, my baby pug Midori. She was only 24 months completely healthy pug with all her shots up to date, full of energy. She was fine until yesterday morning when I left for work, I said good bye as usual. Around 6:00pm my husband get home and calls me in the cellphone and says that Midori was unable to walk, he said that she could not move the rear legs, she was unable to stand to go poop, so she had a huge watery bowel movement. An hour later he calls me again a tells me that she is having involuntary movements, that she things he is having a seizure. I was still working, on call as a medical resident at the hospital so I couldn't leave my work. He decides to bring her for few minutes so I could see her. I kiss her forehead and told her I lover her. I kind of know what was happening. He took her to the 24 hrs vet emergency room and they said it was most likely PDE, they gave her a shot of steroids, antibiotics and pepcid. My husband took her home. By the time she got home she was able to walk again, but slowly. He says that she was breathing heavily and didn't sleep all night.
    The next morning she had some foam on her mouth and was again lethargic in bed, he gave her a kiss and went to our room to get ready for work. Just before leaving the house he goes to say good bye and my poor baby was dead. I was still at the hospital, he call me and gave the terrible news. I went home and found her on her bed as she were sleeping. I hug her and kiss her.
    At least Midori didnt suffer for long, I know this terrible disease is always fatal. I just don't understand why my Midori!
    She was the spirit of the house and we lover so much.

    Midori...AKA Bolita! You will be always in my heart. Love U
    • CommentAuthorO'Malley
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2010
    I am so sorry for your loss. They are part of the Family and are missed so much. Glad she didn't suffer. So so sorry.
    • CommentAuthorrosebud
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2010
    I am so surprised to find this posting. My beloved pug, Pugsly passed away in late November 2009 at the age of 10, after a very difficult last week. Long story short, I took him to the ER late one night after he seemed to be somewhat uncomfortable and showing signs of abdominal distress. After spending the night, the vet determined that he had a torn artery in his abdomen and required emergency surgery. After a 4 day stay at the hospital, he came home to recuperate with me. He seemed to be getting better when on his fourth day at home he had some type of seizure as I came home from work. He grew stiff, and collapsed, vomited and became unresponsive. I rushed him back to the ER and they couldn't tell me what happened or what was the matter with him. Racking my brain for an explanation, I remembered that Pugsly had had two of what might be described as mini-seizures. I told this to the vet. Both happened in a similar fashion, as he got up to greet me after work. The first two were so minor that I didn't think much of them. The first one, he looked like he knocked the air out of himself. He passed out, slid over, then woke right up and seemed fine. The second one (a couple months later), his legs got stiff and he had trouble standing for just a few seconds. Again he seemed fine only a minute later. His last seizure was nothing like the first two... it was massive and he was never cognitive again. After all that he had been through in his last week, I didn't want him to suffer anymore and elected to put him to sleep. Between the surgery and this last seizure, he went through so much at the end. This has been the most difficult loss of my life...I miss him terribly. He was the love of my life. I have struggled to understand what happened at the end and have until this point, attributed his death to some complication from the surgery. While I have no idea how his internal bleeding started (neither does the vet), in light of what I've read here, he may have been suffering from PDE as well. I don't know. I only hope he was not in pain or uncomfortable for long. I never wanted him to suffer.
      Pugsly the Puppy.jpg
    • CommentAuthorJazzypug
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2010
    Midori and Rosebud - I'm so sorry for your losses. My baby turned 2 last month and I can't even imagine losing her at such a young age. My heart goes out to you.
    Our family just lost our pug suddenly this past Sunday at approx. 2:30am. His name was Cosmo (Momo) and he was 8 1/2 yrs old. He seemed fine and had been acting normally. He went to bed that night under our covers and my husband woke to him having lost his bowels. He cleaned up the mess and never reprimanded Momo over it. They both went back to sleep and during the night we think he may have had a siezure. May be even multiple siezures. My Italian greyhound woke me up to Momo laying lifeless and breathing rapidly. I woke my husband and we both tried to wake Momo and get him to drink some water or to respond to us. He lost all control of his bladder and bowels again. We got him up but only on his back feet. Momo then walked over to the other side of the bed and collapsed, still breathing rapidly. We called an all night emergency vet and they of course said bring him immediately. By the time we went to pick him up off the bed to bring him, he stopped breathing and had died. We don't know for sure what happened. He didn't seem to be in pain. My husband said he remembered him convulsing in his sleep thinking he was dreaming. I think it may have been a seizure. When we think back, he has had strange episodes of circling and twitching that he has always come out of just fine. No vet has ever mentined PDE so we never thought. I will say this, he did seem depressed from a young age, he also was very lazy, slept a lot, wasn't too good at the stairs or jumping on the bed or couch. I thought this was all normal "pug like" behavior. May be not. It's hard not knowing the answer. I feel guilty thinking we could have done something more to help him. I hope every pug owner knows about PDE because you may have an answer to your strange pug behaviors. I think we do now. Too bad it's too late. We'll miss him. RIP Momo.
    • CommentAuthorrosebud
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2010 edited
    I don't know if you guys have seen this site... I spend a lot of time there. It's given me some solace and it's a nice place to share memories of your lost loved ones. I add to Pugsly's memorial often.
    • CommentAuthorkenkat64
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2010
    Our baby girl Koko, beautiful apricot colored, smart, very funny, very chatty, headstrong, always thinks she is the puppy although she is the oldest, has had her first seizure and we are pretty sure it is PDE. It is so devastating to see such a vibrant, smart, funny, loving little girl to lose all that in a blink of an eye. We are having such a difficult time dealing with this disease as it takes away their spirit but leaves them still physically able to still eat and go potty. I see Koko going around in circles, agitated, and just wanting to put her head against a wall or the couch, although in some moments, she still recognizes words like "treats time", "go for ride", she still knows her name and the gazillion names we call her. Which makes it very hard for us, because in a way, we know, most of Koko is gone, but she still shows signs that she is fighting this but I cannot bear to see her go through life like this. It hurts us so much to see this happen to her. It is unbearable but I feel that if we continue to let her go through this, we know that it will only get worse unless a miracle happens. I also feel that I am being selfish keeping her alive this way but I also feel that I may be giving up on her too. We are so torn on what to do. I do not want to see her go through this disease, screaming and howling and in fear which I have read in some of the stories posted here. I do not want to put her to sleep either because she is still strongwilled. Despite her condition, she still wants to go outside to go potty. My poor baby girl! So full of life and love. She has given us the reason why we acquired three more pugs, who are also distraught and concerned about her. Her mate, Koojo, is beside himself and cries by the bedroom door just to see her. Kimba our youngest will not stop kissing her. Kita is being very understanding and is not her jealous self when she sees us giving Koko a lot of attention. We have been giving her anti-seizure drugs and muscle relaxants(robaxacet) for spasms. She is not twitching anymore and has given her a bit of spunk. I know the inevitable will soon come but seeing her struggle and stumble and hit her face on the floor, is very hard to take. She is the most fit pug in our home and has never really been sick until this PDE. She is already six years old but according to some sites regarding PDE, this strikes pugs from 6 months old to 7 years old. PDE is a dreadful disease. I pray that one day, there will be a cure. For now, I am praying that our other three babies won't have it. I love our pugs so much. We have had 7 pure black pug puppies and have given them to selected families because we love them too much just to sell them. They are all one year old now and we get to visit all of them to see the lives they are living. Pugs give so much joy, so much love, I cannot see any other breed of dog that is like them. I thank my husband for giving me Koko, she is the best and most precious gift I have ever received. She was born for me. Now, I have to come to terms with what she is going through but am having a hard time thinking that I am just being selfish trying to keep her alive but living with this distructive disease. I welcome comments on what other pug owners think we should do.
      Lazy Winter Mornings.jpg
    • CommentAuthorhamlet
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2010
    My beautiful baby Hamlet died two days ago. He had his first seizure on Saturday and died the following Wednesday. It was that quick. No prior symptoms. He was a healthy, happy, wonderful dog. And now he's gone. My partner and I don't know how we'll go on. We are devastated.

    I had no idea about PDE before Hamlet was diagnosed (by CSF analysis). I'm angry at the neurologist for giving what I consider false hope. He kept saying that PDE is not fatal anymore and that with aggressive treatment (basically phenobarb, antibiotics, and immunosuppressants), pugs with PDE can live symptom-free for years. This is just not true. Yes, miracles do happen and some pugs survive many months with a good quality of life -- but these cases are rare. I wish the doctor had told me from the beginning what our chances really were. I wasn't expecting Hamlet to spiral down, with cluster grand mal seizures every day, or that he would die so soon. The doctor told me every morning that the next morning I could pick Hamlet up and do home care. Then he would seizure and the doc would say one more day. Until eventually poor Hamlet died. At least I was able to be there and hold him before he passed away. But for pug owners out there, you should realize that PDE is very serious and usually results in rapid death. Don't believe arrogant doctors who think they can always outwit nature. PDE is a tough bugger, and it will be many years I believe until they know what it really is and how to treat it. Until then, it's just guess-work, I believe. (Of course, the doctors won't admit this!!) Ugh...

    All in all, it was a harrowing experience. It's one thing to lose an old dog, but you just don't expect a young puppy to die this way. Next week would have been Hamlet's three year old birthday. It hasn't really sunk in that he will never be coming home. Horrible, horrible, horrible....
To respond to this, you need to sign in by clicking the link at the top right of the screen.