Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Your Ad Here

Hosted by Urban Pug

Okay, I have never owned a pug until now. We adopted Sandi about three months ago and she is about six months old. Sandi is a wonderful lap dog, but and I use the but very incicively. Every time I stick her in her kennel that's where the problems start. She has a routine. At 12am she is taken out to go potti before bed and she will be fine until about 6:30am then she will start wimpering. If we ignore her and continue sleeping it turns into a full out right tantrum of screams. I mean blood curdiling screams to the point you would think I was torturing her. The only person that she will sit with is me, and I am wondering if it's because I am pregnant which is why I am wondering if I should put a clock in with her kennel, any ideas would be great.
    •  
      CommentAuthormatt
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2007

I'm not sure what to do here -- Gizmo & Gadget sleep in the bed with us. Other people have special "pug beds" that their pugs sleep in, next to the human beds.

I guess what your real question is is: "How do I crate train my pug?" I would look on the internet for that sort of thing. If anyone has any ideas, please comment!Gizmo and Gadget's Dad
    • CommentAuthorTX1551
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2007

Join the club....

The first week home - he slept in his crate in the bathroom until 6:00 Am - it was amazing

Since then - he wakes up at 1:00 or so - sometimes he will cry for an hour and go back to sleep.

Others, it is the tantrum scream - so we'll put him in bed with us -then he goes straight to sleep.

After about 5:30 AM - there is no sleep...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBellaBeaner
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2007 edited

I think that you might try to ignore the problem behavior for as long as you can. The more you respond t the "bad" behavior the more likely it is to continue. I would imagine that a few days of ignoring the screaming may let Sandi know that her attempt at attention is not working. It may be an awful time for you but the alternative is continued screaming. When you give them what they want they learn that the behavior that they are exhibiting is effective.
    • CommentAuthorleddie
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2009

She is done sleeping and needs to go out to potty. Then I suggest you put her in bed with you if you still want to sleep. As humans we have the luxury of getting up when we want when we are awake. I believe Pugs are the closest to human any dog can get. Her behavior is understandable and I don't blame her. LOL, I don't blame you either, I might add. She is just finished with her night routine and wants to potty and be with you until you begin your day. Ya gotta love those Puggies!
    • CommentAuthorcorjusmom
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2009

My pug is 3 and she sleeps in "HER" chair but we have the screams when my son leaves in the morning to get on the school bus, she goes CRAZY ! ! She just does'nt understand why her best friend gets in that big yellow car and goes away (lol)
    • CommentAuthorDaisy
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2009

my pug Beau cries a lot for attention, so i completely ignore him. when he's having 'time out' for being naughty, he cries hysterically, but he is learning that screaming and clawing will get him nothing. i think the best thing to do with screaming is to ignore and ignore and ignore. when Beau first came to live with us, he cried all night long. it took him four nights of constant i'm-a-baby-being-tortured-by-kidnappers screaming before he learned that he could cry as much as he wanted but i wasn't getting out of bed. now, when it's bedtime, he's quiet and he goes to bed without whimpering at the kitchen door.Bristol Pugs on Facebook
    • CommentAuthorscfsnoopy
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2009

It's very rare that Arnie will full on scream in his crate - he only does it if he thinks we've forgotten about him. He sleep in the crate most night, I put him in at the same time I go to bed and I let him out after my shower in the morning (he does NOT want to get out in the mornings! He wants to sleep in!)

It's gotten much better, but there are still odd nights where he'll wake up in the middle of the night and whine to get out. I usually ignore him as best I can, sometimes a sharp "Arnie!" will let him know I'm sick of his crap. If he really persists with the whining, he gets put outside - and he'll stay outside for the rest of the night. (I live in a temperate enough area that we can get away with this - we also have a 12 year old Shar Pei who has lived outside every day and night of her life with no problem).

As a general rule though, ignoring them is the best thing you can do. It does suck, and it is a little heartbreaking, but it's the fastest way for them to learn. Pugs have to be the most spoiled breed in the world and they know it!
    • CommentAuthorsleffel
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2009

Our pug Benjamin screams in the morning. At like 5:30 am, it's like he's cursing a blue streak at the top of his lungs!!! He's a rescue, and we've only had him for a couple of weeks, but I think it's getting worse. We try to ignore, but sometimes I know that he really DOES have to go out. But...I feel like I'm reinforcing his screaming when I take him out of his crate! (And on top of that, after his morning walk he gets fed...which I think is really really reinforcing it.) Suggestions?
    mine hates his crate he used to scream till he passed out when he was a baby.. i don't dare put him in there anymore he sleeps on my bed nowSandy
    • CommentAuthorBruceLee33
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2010

my friend has a screamer pug but trained it as best as he could when it was a puppy from doing that. it's better now that he's 2..but still does it on occasion. just try your best and work with them and let them know they cant do that. reward them when they stop. i cant offer too much personal advice, im sorry.... mine doesn't scream..just has a funny bark, lol.

good luck! :)~*BruceLee's Mommy*~ loves her Trupanion pet insurance
    • CommentAuthorerin1785
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2010

I've had Chester a almost 3 weeks now and I put him in a crate at night and he doesn't do anything until when he knows I'm supposed to get up.I've haven't heard him bark yet and the whimpering is very quiet.He likes to sleep on his back in the crate so I think he likes the alone time.
    • CommentAuthorsweetiepie
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2010

My husband was not crazy about getting a dog so I promised she wouldn't sleep in our bed. She sleeps in her crate and, since being in the bed has never been an option, she has never complained about it.

Since the beginning I've done all those pack leader things that the dog whisperer recommends - making her wait until I say it's ok to eat, wait before going thru the door, walk by my side on the leash w/o pulling etc. - and I think this helps her overall behavior. It's just not natural for a dog not to follow what the alpha says to do. The more you claim the alpha position, the more your dog will become a follower. I taught preschool for many years (retired now) so it's easy for me to project leadership, once I learned that dogs need that too.

Sweetie Pie is 2 and a half years old now and she is very happy and healthy and playful. She's also very well-behaved. She waits patiently in her crate until I'm ready to take her out. The only commands she knows are sit, wait, come. Other than that she just does what I want because I'm the leader. She spends all day with me and she is very loving and sweet - a wonderful, well-behaved companion!
    • CommentAuthorgreggipod
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2010

I have 2 pugs--Klaus (2), and Oliver (11 mos.). I've never had problems with Klaus--he's so lazy, and would gladly sleep in bed with you as long as you're willing to stay. Oliver is the COMPLETE opposite! He has been slow to potty train, had problems with consuming his own wastes...and the screaming. SCREAMING! I started having him sleep on the bed with Klaus and I, but he was slow to settle down, so I tried putting him in the crate at night. He routinely wakes up between 1-3 in the morning and screams. Despite ignoring the behaviour, it hasn't completely resolved, although the screaming bouts are getting shorter, and he'll go back to sleep after a while. If, on the other hand, he sleeps on the bed with Klaus and I, he will settle down, but he will be bright eyed and bushy tailed ready to go out at 5:30. This is still WAY too early for my tastes, but at least there is no screaming.
    i have a pug that does that to but the thing is pugs like to sleep with people
    • CommentAuthorEliza
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2011

:confused: Until I joined this forum I was considering what I thought would be a pug dog which I have read that are easy to take care of and are low maintenance dogs. We just lost our dog to old age and a spinal condition two months ago and now I feel ready to try again with a dog, against my husband's better judgement. Anyhow, I come on here now and read that many of these pugs scream! I never knew that was even a possiblity. It scares me to take in a pug and realize that we will not be able to deal with it. We are still heartbroken about our previous dog and are not looking for another heart-break. What does one do???
    • CommentAuthoralmarsea
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2011

I study and watch anything on dogs that I can. Kennel training is what a dog needs. He needs his space. It's less confusing for him when he has a schedule and nicer for you too. My dog will whimper to go out and if not paid immediate attention to will squeal but that's because he really has to go . A comment to Eliza, I have never heard of a pug screaming until i watched it on Youtube. My dog Simon doesn't do that and never has. When I watched the screaming dogs I couldn't believe it. Hopefully you won't get a screamer. A pug is easy to take care of but they are shedders big time especially the fawns. I had Simon shaved and that took care of that problem. He is really a very nice dog. You wouldn't be sorry. Be sure to have them spay or neutered and you will not experience peeing nightmares in your house.

Mary
To respond to this, you need to sign in by clicking the link at the top right of the screen.