Not signed in (Sign In)

Categories

Your Ad Here

Hosted by Urban Pug

•  
      CommentAuthorjoy
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2007

I recently adopted a 3-yr. old pug. I know about the heat and pugs, but I am not sure how "long" our walks should be? 10-15 minutes is what I have done so far. I would like to go further but am affraid to. We play in the house---chase,tug of war with his stuffed toys...but I want to make sure he gets enough exercise.
    •  
      CommentAuthormatt
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2007

our walks are pretty short, but we live where it's hot and G&G have thick coats.

I'd say a longer walk would be better, but you have to judge for yourself based on how your Pug's doing at the end of the walk. Is he overheated? Is he panting really fast?

Is he gaining weight? If he's not gaining weight, he probably is getting enough exercise.Gizmo and Gadget's Dad
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoy
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2007

I have only had him 3 week so still getting to know him. Vet said he is about 6 lbs overweight. I live in Los Angeles in the what is called the Hollywood Hills, though not steep hills, but it does add to the workout.

His panting does get heavy, but I question if it is too heavy. I will keep walks short until I learn more about pug's health. Thanks for the help.
    •  
      CommentAuthormatt
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2007

Does he try to sit down during the walk? Does he go inside the house and go directly to his water bowl then find the coolest place he can find and sit there?

When it's really hot out, Gadget (he gets hotter quicker) will go directly to the water, then sit in front of a fan right after his walks. You just KNOW he's hot. Gizmo, on the other hand, I could keep walking for a while!Gizmo and Gadget's Dad
    That's what happens with Schroeder and Bullett when I walk them when it's too hot in Phoenix, AZ. Schroeder goes straight in to the water bowl and then lies where the A/C hits him best. Schroeder has very thick fur compared to Bullett. Bullett is usually not fazed by the walks, at all.

When it's cool enough, we can walk for more than a mile, about 20 to 30 minutes.
To respond to this, you need to sign in by clicking the link at the top right of the screen.